This page aims to summarise our key publications around bovine TB.
Information on changes to cattle movement controls, surveillance testing and compensation from 1 July 2012 and 1 January 2013 and how these will affect cattle keepers:
- TB Information Note 05/12 on changes to TB Cattle Movement Controls (PDF)
- TB Information Note 04/12 on changes to Bovine TB Surveillance (PDF)
- TB Information Note 03/12 on changes to CTS linked holdings and Sole Occupancy Authorities (PDF 40 KB)
- TB Information Note 02/12 on revisions to pre-movement testing exemptions (PDF 30 KB)
- TB Information Note 01/12 on changes to compensation and revised TB Order (PDF 35 KB)
Badger control training guidance
- Establishing and running a badger culling training course and assessing competence: minimum course requirements
- Controlled shooting of badgers in the field under licence to prevent the spread of bovine TB in cattle
- Cage-trapping and shooting of badgers under licence to prevent the spread of bovine TB in cattle
December 2011 policy announcements
- Policy document: The Government’s policy on bovine TB and badger control in England
- Guidance to Natural England: Licences to kill or take badgers for the purpose of preventing the spread of bovine TB
- Responses to the consultation on Guidance to Natural England on the Implementation and Enforcement of a Badger Control Policy
- Impact Assessment
- Ecological Impact Assessment
Advice to animal keepers
- A training video demonstrating practical on-farm biosecurity measures to reduce TB risks to cattle from wildlife has been produced
- AHVLA’s Dealing With TB In Your Herd publications
- Do you know what’s happening in your feed store? (February 2007) (PDF 2 MB). Advice on husbandry best practice to help reduce the risk of bovine TB transmission between cattle and badgers. PB124747C.
- Bovine TB: Do you know how to reduce your risk? (May 2007) (PDF 800 KB). Advice on husbandry best practice to help reduce the risk of bovine TB transmission between cattle. PB12590.
The Government’s approach
- Bovine TB Eradication Programme for England
- TB Eradication Plan 2011 (PDF 7 MB)
- TB Eradication Group progress report 2009 (PDF 800 KB)
Key TB research
Randomised Badger Culling Trial
- Independent Scientific Group final report (PDF 2.5 MB) on the Randomised Badger Culling Trial
- Executive Summary: Bovine Tuberculosis in Cattle and Badgers, Report to The Rt Hon Dr Jack Cunningham MP – the Krebs Report. The full report is no longer in print and is not available electronically. A copy is held by the Defra library.
- The Government’s Response to The Krebs Report on Bovine Tuberculosis in Cattle and Badgers.
Surveillance reports – TB infection status in cattle
26 March 2013
- TB Information note 03/12 – Changes to Cattle Tracing System (CTS) links and Sole Occupancy Authorites (SOAs) (pdf, 54 KB)