Bird flu (avian influenza)
Avian influenza (AI), commonly known as bird flu, is a highly contagious viral disease affecting the respiratory, digestive and/or nervous system of many species of birds. It may also pose a threat to people and other animals in certain circumstances.
The disease is notifiable: if you suspect the disease, you must immediately notify the duty vet in your local Animal Health Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) office.
- Defra monitors the occurrence of major animal disease outbreaks worldwide as an early warning to assess the risk these events may pose to the UK.
- Imports and exports news relating to avian influenza
- About the disease
- Advice to poultry keepers
- Advice to the public
- Disease control and surveillance
- Compensation for Poultry – valuation cards