Reports, surveys, reviews and newsletters
Annual statistical report
Defra publishes an annual report summarising data collected from local authorities.
The report contains information about charging income received, numbers of permit applications, how many installations in different industry sectors hold permits, the time taken to process applications, the number of inspections made, etc.
The 2011/12 report comprises:
- Management summary
- Annex A: Analysis of part B Installations.
- Annex B: Common questions – part A2 and Part B
- Annex C: Analysis of Part A2 Installations
- Annex D: Inspection Rates for Part B Installations
- Annex E: Inspection Rates for Part A2 Installations
This is a toolkit commissioned from Entec and published first in a report in September 2010. The full toolkit incorporates comments made when Defra consulted on the report.
- the essential toolkit (diagrams only) (PDF 250 KB)
- the full toolkit (PDF 450 KB)
- the full report (PDF 4.5 MB)
The toolkit has no statutory effect. It was commissioned simply to give LA officers a resource which they might find helpful and use as they see fit.
Part B better regulation review
In 2006 and 2008 two consultations were undertaken to assess whether the environmental objectives of regulating those Part B activities, which do not directly implement EU directives, could be achieved using alternative regulatory approaches.
- July 2009: Summary of responses to the second consultation (PDF 80 KB)
- November 2008: Consultation on Better Regulation Review of Part B Activities (PDF 900 KB)
- July 2006 – outcome of first consultation:
LAPC performance reviews
Atkins undertook two reviews of local authority performance. The 2006 report (PDF 510 KB) includes three appendices:
- appendix A (PDF 30 KB)
- appendix B (PDF 60 KB)
- appendix C (PDF 10 KB)
- appendix D (PDF 30 KB)
- appendix E (PDF 125 KB)
- appendix F (PDF 20 KB)
We publish a newsletter to provide regulators and operators with a summary of what has been published in the PPC field (guidance, consultations, etc). The latest editions are:
- February – July 2011 (PDF 40KB)
- October 2010 – January 2011 (PDF 90 KB)
- January – September 2010 (PDF 90 KB)
- October – December 2009 (PDF 100 KB)
Between 2005 and 2007 Defra issued a number of newsletters – referred to as Updates – to assist with the introduction of solvent emissions regulation to the dry cleaning sector. These can still be found on the National Archive website.
Air quality impacts of the use of Pyrolysis liquid fuels
Defra report on the Air quality impacts of the use of Pyrolysis liquid fuels (PDF). The report was commissioned to reconcile the potential benefits of Pyrolysis liquid fuels with the need to minimise air quality impacts. It’s main finding is that, based on sparse data, emissions will be dependent on the nature and coherence over time of feedstock used in individual cases.
4 May 2012
- Air quality impacts of the use of Pyrolysis liquid fuels (pdf, 514 KB)