Join or start a tree group
You can get involved in The Big Tree Plant by joining an existing local tree group and helping them with their tree-planting activities. If there aren’t any groups or projects near you, you could set up your own.
Find a local group
There are lots of tree groups involved in planting and caring for trees all over the country, in towns, cities and villages.
You can find where the nearest tree project is to you from The Tree Council website.
Start your own group or project
If there are no groups or projects near you, you could set up your own.
Some things you may need to consider before you start planting or caring for trees are:
- where you want to plant trees and what permission will be needed
- how you can involve your local community
- how to get help from local businesses or other groups
- what trees to plant where
- whether you want or need to hold fundraising events or activities
You can get more information and advice on how to start a tree group from the Woodland Trust. BTCV also offer advice and support for people who want to set up community groups.
- Woodland Trust advice on starting up a tree group
- The Conservation Volunteers advice on setting up a community group
You can get some ideas for fundraising for tree-planting and care from the Trees for Cities website
Tell us your story
If you have set up a tree planting or care group we’d like to hear about it so we can share your experiences with other people. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your story and photographs.