You are here: Defra > Imports/exports – animals and animal products > Imports from outside the EU

Imports from outside the EU

The latest information on Importing live animals or animal products from non-EU countries is available on GOV.UK.

Other animals and animal products imports and exports information will be moving to GOV.UK shortly.

Animals and animal products from countries outside the EU must be imported via an approved Border Inspection Posts (BIPs), where they undergo veterinary checks before they are allowed to enter the EU.

Products and live animals generally can only be imported from countries which are on the approved third country import list for that product or animal species. Products of animal origin (POAO) usually must be from establishments approved to export to the EU. Details of approved establishments for products are available on the European Commission’s website.  Some finished products, for example leather and dried pasta, are exempt from these controls.

If you wish to be added to the mailing list to receive CINs, please complete and return the CIN proforma.

A special measure (called a declaration) to prohibit or restrict imports may be introduced when there is a disease outbreak in another country.

Imports of material for scientific research, evaluation, composite products which contain a percentage of POAO for human consumption and some animals can only be imported with an authorisation or a licence. Authorisations or licences are only issued when the product is not covered by EU law, or we have power in EU law to set specific national import conditions.

Imports into the EU are recorded by the EU wide Trade Control and Expert System (TRACES).

Import controls on live animals are enforced by Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency. Local Authorities enforce the controls on imports of POAO.


Page last modified: 20 November 2014