CIN 2012/29 – Imports of poultry and poultry products from Israel
1. To advise you of the latest situation with respect to the importation of poultry and poultry products from Israel.
2. The conditions for the importation of live poultry, hatching eggs, fresh poultry meat, eggs and egg products are laid down in Commission Regulation (EC) No 798/2008. Import conditions for poultry meat products are laid down in Commission Decision 2007/777/EC.
3. On 8/9 March, the Israeli competent authorities notified the European Commission of two outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI). As Israel is no longer free of HPAI, the veterinary authorities suspended exports of poultry and poultry products from its whole territory.
4. The Israeli authorities implemented measures to control the spread of disease. The European Commission has evaluated and agreed the measures that have been put in place.
5. Israel has therefore been regionalised in accordance with SANCO/7041/2012 to add a new area around the latest outbreaks and imports from there are restricted until 22 June. Imports from areas not in the restricted zone can resume. Poultry meat products from the restricted area must be subject to treatment D in accordance with Annex II, Part 4 of Commission Decision 2007/777/EC.
6. The amending Regulation will be published shortly but due to the short timescale the Commission has said that imports can resume prior to formal adoption and publication in the Official Journal of the European Union, provided that individual Member States agree to early implementation.
7. The UK has agreed this proposal to imports of poultry and poultry products from non restricted areas of Israel.
24 May 2012
- 7041-EN (pdf, 34 KB)