CIN 2012/27 – importation of poultry meat from Thailand and HPAI related restrictions
1. To advise you that:
- restrictions on imports of fresh poultry meat from Thailand are due to be lifted; and
- other restrictions in relation to highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) are being extended.
2. Following outbreaks of HPAI in 2004, restrictions were imposed on susceptible products. The animal health situation has since improved. Commission experts have carried out a number of inspection missions to assess the animal health situation and have concluded that the Thai authorities can provide sufficient guarantees to be able to resume exports to the EU.
3. The restrictions remain in place until 30 June. The ‘opening date’ in column 6B in Annex 1, Part I to Regulation (EC) No 798/2008 as amended by Regulation (EU) No 393/2012 is 1 July. In accordance with footnote (2) to Regulation 798/2008 only commodities produced after this date may be imported into the EU. The health certificate that has to accompany consignments of fresh poultry meat imported into the EU (Annex 1, Part II, certificate POU, point II.2.5) requires dates of slaughter.
4. You will also wish to note that currently the list of EU approved establishments in Thailand that produce fresh poultry meat can only use the meat to manufacture poultry meat products (cooked meat) for export to the EU. The Thai authorities will have to change that listing as of 1 July if they want to export fresh poultry meat to the EU.
5. You may also wish to note that import of eggs from Thailand will not be permitted as Thailand does not have a Residue Plan in place in accordance with the requirements of Decision 2011/163/EC as amended
6. There are a number of HPAI restrictions in place. These restrictions are currently in force until 30 June but are being extended until 31 December 2013.
- CD 2005/692/EC – HPAI in several third countries;
- CD 2005/734/EC – HPAI restrictions on poultry living in the wild and captive birds;
- CD 2007/25/EC – HPAI restrictions in respect of pet birds;
- CD 2009/494/EC – HPAI in Croatia and Switzerland;
- CD 2012/248/EC – amends four pieces of legislation above.